Friday, April 3, 2009

The accident



So, now that your in suspense I can tell u the story of my injury. I'm sure you will enjoy the photos. So, I had just gotten done with most of the ride. We were now in jungle so I took off my 3 layers of clothing since it was so hot and was only in a tank top and shorts. We had just taken off from a short break so as we departed i was a little too close to friend in front of me. She took a tumble off her bike and I was to close, so in fear of running her over I slammed on my breaks. Not a good idea when u r traveling down a hill, but in the split second all I thought of was her safety, not mine. So, I flew off my bike and landed on my right side. Got a huge gash on forearm, dr on trip said it could use 3 stitches, but only for cosmetic purposes, brush burn all up my right arm onto underneath my armpit, and a huge hematoma on my right upper thigh. Bled quite a bit, but then got proper bandages to wrap it tight and of course cleaned it with iodine. Haven't taken off bandages since then and am a little afraid of how it will look. All I hope for is that I can keep it clean. About to embarck on trek to southern boliva on overnight bus and then sleeping in tents so sanitation will be of the utmost importance.
To top it off, tour ended at wildlife sanctuary which was cool cause there were all these monkey roaming around free, but I got eaten alive by sandflies. I was too worried about my bleeding arm that I forgot to reapply my insect repellent.
All in all, have had a few mishaps, but Bolivia is amazing. I would rather not have had the accident but I am sooo glad I came to this wonderful country.

4 comments:

  1. Jenny Jenny Jenny! Can't take you anywhere! Be careful!!!!! And keep that wound clean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now when your grandkids ask you about your scar, you can tell them how their grandmother traveled the worlds most dangerous road unharmed. Then when they say, well why do you have a scar, you can say...because your grandmother waited until it was safe to fall off her bike. =) I miss you Jen! Keep enjoying life and keep writing!

    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny, On a trip like this, the once in a life time experiences outweigh the bad. The trials make the stories all the more interesting.
    Keep it clean and dry-- and follow the advise of the Doc! If it starts to look yucky--show it to someone. Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want hourly updates and would like to know more about the other individuals on this trip. I need to know. But either way hope your wound is healing well and that you are still mostly ok.
    -Todd

    ReplyDelete