Thursday, April 30, 2009

Wine Tasting


Finally my first day wine tasting! It is a very special feeling being here or in any wine region for that matter. I went tasting with my roomate Erin who actually left today to go back home, so am stuck with all boys! Needless to say the toilet seat is never down. The only positive to the situation is that me and David now have the bigger room and have a double bed instead of the single in our old room. Although we didn't mind the cuddling it will be nice to have a bit more room and a second pillow much to David's chagrin (for some reason he likes sharing a pillow...I don't understand).
Anyway, back to wine tasting. I thought it was going to rain, but it turned out to be a beautiful day. Sunny, with a light breeze. We visited the following wineries: Fromm, Seresin, Mahi, and Huia. We ate at Wairau River, which actually also has their own label, so we did a tasting there as well and had some wine at Drylands since Erin had to stop off to pick up a few bottles to bring home since that is where she did vintage.
By far my favorite was Seresin, then Mahi. But I really enjoyed all of Seresin's wines and I made a friend in the tasting room!
For all those who come to visit we can rent bikes and cruise around wine country. Wouldn't that be so much fun?!?! And we can picnic in the vineyards :)
Oh, and if u are not familiar the most widely grown varietal in Marlborough is Sauvignon Blanc. But I also had some decent pinot noir and gewurtztraminer and a quite different pinot gris, although not very characteristic of the varietal. Even though the vineyards are in close proximity of one another, each sauvignon blanc was actually distinctly different from one another which I thought was quite nice.
OK, that's all folks! I'm going to watch Gran Turino and wait for David to come home at 330am, his new schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment