So, that seemed to be the longest bit of flying I've ever done at once. Maybe because I was so anxious to get here :) But I am here and so happy!
David picked me up in an old land rover. I thought we were going on safari! Oh course I had too many bags....ended up paying $130 in overweight charges. But I am hoping to get a business job, so had to bring my nice clothes :)
Here's my first day in a nutshell. Got a place to stay (our old roommate in Oregon is here and luckily a room just opened up in the house he is staying in, sharing a single bed, but life could be worse), moved in, walked around Blenheim (within walking distance to downtown with lots of cute restaurants, bars, and shopping!), then went to the beach. David was a trooper and stayed up most of the day with me, even though when he picked me up he came straight from work...a 12 hr shift.
Next morning he took me to his favorite farmers market, everything is locally grown and made. I had the best pastry I've ever had in my life. It is called an eccles cake. It kind of looked like a doughnut, but consistency was different. It was basically a puff pastry with carmelized brown sugar on the outside and sweet currant filling. I am counting down the days til next sunday when I can buy another one. We also bought some fijoas (a new fruit for me that tasted like sweet tarts), beets, strawberries, cheese, chesnuts (u can steam them and they kind of taste potato like), and some fresh olive oil. Then we watched dogs compete against each other in an obstacle course (I'm sure there is a technical term for this). It was quite funny and I felt very British! Applied for an amazing job. We'll see if I hear anything. Keep your fingers crossed, it would be an amazing opportunity.
Pic is of the Marlborough sounds...I'm living in Blenheim which is in Marlborough, the South Island...just in case u were curious.
Okay - That picture is AMAZING!! Somehow I will have to convince Charlie to visit if the two of you plan on staying there! So glad you finally made it to New Zealand!
ReplyDeleteAmanda
Hopefully we will be here for the year! And u r definately more than welcome to come visit!!!! WOW, only a couple of weeks left til the wedding. Although not looking forward to the plane ride, am looking forward to the wedding. Yeah!
ReplyDelete