Woke up early in order to take a shower. Was hoping for hot water since there was some the night prior, but no, freezing, apparently doesnt get turned on til later! Trying to keep my wounds clean, so no infection. I really dont want to end up in Bolivian hospital. The biggest black and blue has appeared on my right thigh. Id say the dimensions are 12 inches across by 8 inches long. Very ugly.
Although Roberto did a toast with us last night to the Earth (Pachamama), sun and moon, I think he is still mad at us because everyone else got eggs and we didnt! Plus, everyone else got desert last night, and again we didnt. He is a stubborn little old man.
Still, though, it is kind of funny. Had a great day offroading in the jeep. Many large rocks and horrible roads to pass, although i will say that we DID NOT have any problems, unlike many of the other jeeps on the side of the road. Although Roberto complains, he is a good driver and hope we get back with no mishaps...
Drove through Salar de Chiguana. I cant describe how beautiful the mountains are. Since Roberto said no musica, i took in the scenery while listening to my ipod. We were approaching this cool looking historical site, so whipped out my camera to take some photos. Got yelled at because oops, this was a Bolivian military base and if u take pictures u can get detained! Missed that since i was listening the the ipod and anyway, although my spanish is improving, I still cant understand everything.
The landscape is so crazy here, we actually were seeing mirages! And i saw the most beautiful blue sky I have ever seen in my life.
We visited a number of lakes where flamingoes live in nature. It was so cool. And we also got to see many of my new favorite animal the vicuna.
Toward the end of the day we crossed the Pampa Siloli, a high altitude desert of volcanic ash and gravel with strange outcrops. Many say this landscape was the inspiration of some of Salvador Dalis paintings. U be the judge from the pic!
Ended the day at Hostel San Marcelo. Definately more primitive hostel. All 6 of us, including the amorous couple we were with, had to share a room. No showering here. Deciding to start having some vino early since there wasnt much else to do, we were in the middle of nowhere. Ending up having a great time and meeting many fellow travellers from around the world and played a new card game...shithead. kind of a combo of many other American drinking card games, except drinking was at our own pace, thank goodness. Had to wake up at 5am, as we were going to see the sunrise on our last day. Ughhhhhh!!! Since we were in desert, it was freezing at that time of the morning. Very painful!
Oh, forgot to mention that in the middle of the day Roberto magically appeared with ipod adapter and we listened to 80s music, including dance parties in desert, all day. I think he is warming up to us!
Hey Jenhy!!! Great Stories! I love all the details. Isn't it fun to share your adventures. I haven't been keeping as up to date as I would like because of my own adventures back home but I'm sure we'll catch up on e-mail when you have more reliable internet access.
ReplyDeleteTalk to you soon! -tommy
sounds like a very fine day! Eileen
ReplyDelete