So, flew into Florida and everything was great. Haven't had any time since christmas to talk to Loryn so we had alot to catch up on. We went out for dinner at Coconuts, sat outside, always my criteria for dining in florida in spring, had great food and half priced wine and watched the sunset on the intercoastal. What a nice day. Got to airport around 9pm with flight leaving at 11pm, everything seems to be going well until I find out that I need a visa application filled out and a photo. Of course I don't have this because I was kind of winging this trip, a little unlike me since I am a planner, but the other girls had checked, and they thought all we needed was our yellow fever card.
So, loryn and chris had already left, but they booked it back. Katelyn had not gotten in yet, her flight was late, so only was able to leave her a message about criteria. Printed out form in airport, and then soon after loryn and chris were back and we gpsed Walgreens. Of course Walgreens machine was down and it is south florida so the employees were not helpful at all. Luckily there was a CVS across street. This was my last hope, so I pleaded with the woman, they had just closed the photo center, and the photo employee was about to walk out door. They were nicer and took the photo. Of course then the machine runs out of paper, but I eventually get the photo and he even does it for free because he had already closed out his register. We rush back to airport where they tell me they aren't taking any more bags, but of course I asked nicely and they took it. Raced to terminal which was the farthest terminal away and miami is a big airport. Got there and katelyn is arguing with the woman at counter. Her flight didn't get in til almost 10, it was late, so i never got ahold of her til it was too late. She knew they wouldn't let her on the flight, but told me to go, so, I got on plane. Had the worst sleep.
Got to airport, was very worried about visa. But all worked out well. But cost me $135! Was trying to take bus into town but this one cabbie kept popping up and i thought it would be 4 but apparently was 40. Hmm, I think I got swindled, I remember a similar situation like this when a man rode us around China on his chariot bike setup through the hutongs. That was an ugly scene. Don't know exchange rate, should probably look that up. All in all i am proud of myself for getting to hostel on my own in a third world country with no actual mishaps, just near mishaps. I alerted the other two girls about visa so I am hoping to see them in a few hours. Katelyn will be here tommorrow.
The city is very unique looking. Airport is on top of valley and views were phenomenal.
So, loryn and chris had already left, but they booked it back. Katelyn had not gotten in yet, her flight was late, so only was able to leave her a message about criteria. Printed out form in airport, and then soon after loryn and chris were back and we gpsed Walgreens. Of course Walgreens machine was down and it is south florida so the employees were not helpful at all. Luckily there was a CVS across street. This was my last hope, so I pleaded with the woman, they had just closed the photo center, and the photo employee was about to walk out door. They were nicer and took the photo. Of course then the machine runs out of paper, but I eventually get the photo and he even does it for free because he had already closed out his register. We rush back to airport where they tell me they aren't taking any more bags, but of course I asked nicely and they took it. Raced to terminal which was the farthest terminal away and miami is a big airport. Got there and katelyn is arguing with the woman at counter. Her flight didn't get in til almost 10, it was late, so i never got ahold of her til it was too late. She knew they wouldn't let her on the flight, but told me to go, so, I got on plane. Had the worst sleep.
Got to airport, was very worried about visa. But all worked out well. But cost me $135! Was trying to take bus into town but this one cabbie kept popping up and i thought it would be 4 but apparently was 40. Hmm, I think I got swindled, I remember a similar situation like this when a man rode us around China on his chariot bike setup through the hutongs. That was an ugly scene. Don't know exchange rate, should probably look that up. All in all i am proud of myself for getting to hostel on my own in a third world country with no actual mishaps, just near mishaps. I alerted the other two girls about visa so I am hoping to see them in a few hours. Katelyn will be here tommorrow.
The city is very unique looking. Airport is on top of valley and views were phenomenal.
Very are amazing! Lapaz?
ReplyDeleteI was slow in viewing, wow, I can't believe you made it back in time. Steve Robbins has a similar story--but about copies for his first day as soccer coach.
ReplyDelete